The weather may be a little hit and miss, but this summer dish is certainly not one to miss! This easy crab cake recipe is a delicious treat for the eyes as well as the palette. Give it a go and let us know how it goes on our social channels.
Devon Crab Cake with Wild Rocket, Parmesan Salad and Sweet Chilli Jam
For the Crab Cake:
1. White Crab Meat (120gms)
2. Mash Potato (60gms- approx. 8 small potatoes)
3. Red Chilli, long, finely chopped (1)
4. Limes (2, 1 lime juiced, other lime cut into wedges for garnish
5. Tarragon (6 gms)
6. Chopped Shallots (40 gms)
7. Salted Butter (20 gms)
8. Chopped Garlic (10 gms)
9. Sea Salt to season
10. Black Pepper to season
11. Eggs (2) whisked for dipping
12. Plain Flour and Panko Breadcrumbs for coating the crab cakes (at your discretion)
13. Cooking oil (veg, rapeseed, sunflower), for frying.
For the Sweet Chilli Jam:
1. Chopped red Chilli (depending on how much spice you want)
2. Honey (60 ml)
3. Chilli Flakes (4 gms)
4. Tomato Juice (60 ml)
For the Salad:
1. Wild Roquette (10 gms)
2. Olive oil (10 ml)
3. Parmesan Cheese (6 gms)
4. Cherry tomatoes (6)
1. In a bowl, combine the mashed potatoes with the crab meat, sautéed shallots and chopped garlic. Add the lime juice, chopped tarragon and seasoning. Mix well.
2. Make a patty of your crab mix, coat in flour and then dip in your whisked eggs. Finally cover in your breadcrumbs.
3. Keep your crab cakes in the fridge until required, this helps to hold a firm shape before frying
Tip: why not make your crab cakes ahead of your lunch get-together and have them ready in the fridge so you only need to fry when your guests arrive
4. In a frying pan, heat the oil to a high heat. Start to brown each cake for a minute on both sides and then cook until hot for around 4-5 minutes.
Sweet Chilli Sauce
Add chopped red chilli, chilli flakes and honey together in sauce pan with tomato juice and then reduce until it gets thick like a jam consistency.
Wild Rocket and Parmesan Salad
Combine your rocket, finely grated Parmesan and chopped cherry tomatoes into a bowl and mix with a little olive oil and balsamic. Be sure to season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Let’s bring it all together…
Make sure you’ve prepared your crab cake patty, salad and sweet chilli jam before frying your crab cakes. Finally make a bed of your salad on a plate and place a crab cake on top. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt. Place your sweet chilli jam on the side…… enjoy!
Make your job a little easier and come to us to get the crab you need. We have a fishmonger in all our restaurants that can prepare and source the perfect crab meat for your fish cake. Email email@example.com to place you order.